On Thursday, The progressive congresswoman Michigan Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib refuses to financially support a “violent apartheid system”, she posts on Twitter to express her opposition to support for Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system, claiming that Israel has exploited US aid to “commit war crimes.”

Tlaib wrote, “I will not support a standalone supplemental bill of $1 billion to replenish the bombs Israel used to commit war crimes in Gaza.”

It includes the bill’s support for Operation Guardian of the Walls; the defensive effort of the Israeli Defense Forces used to protect the country’s civilians against bombing from Hamas in May and was highlighted in the tweet.

On Wednesday, Connecticut Democrat Rosa DeLauro, chairwoman of the House Funding Committee, proposed a supplemental appropriations bill to replenish Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system.

DeLauro introduced the standalone bill because Democrats had stripped the Iron Dome funding from a larger spending bill last week, Fox News reported.

The funding is part of an agreement reached in the Obama administration, according to DeLauro’s statement.

DeLauro said in a statement, “The United States’ commitment to the security of our friend and ally Israel is ironclad. Replenishing interceptors used to protect Israel from attacks is our legal and moral responsibility,While this funding would ordinarily be included in a year-end spending package, we are advancing this legislation now to demonstrate Congress’ bipartisan commitment to Israel’s security as part of a Middle East with lasting peace.”

The funding is part of an agreement reached in the Obama administration, according to DeLauro’s statement.

The statement said, “The funding is consistent with the 2016 Memorandum of Understanding between the United States and Israel, which commits the United States to providing additional assistance to replenish the Iron Dome after periods of fighting to allow Israel to continue to defend itself from attack.”

After Hamas launched hundreds of missiles at Israeli cities in May, Israel mobilized 5,000 reserve troops to augment its security and defense.

The attacks were condemned by then-Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who stated to defend itself from violence, Israel will pursue aggressive action.

Netanyahu said, according to The Jerusalem Post, “The terrorist groups in Gaza crossed a red line on the eve of Jerusalem Day, a red line, and attacked us with rockets on the outskirts of Jerusalem.”

Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Gilad Erdan, said Israel “has no other choice but to defend its citizens from these indiscriminate attacks, and we demand the international community hold the Palestinians accountable and forcibly condemn their actions,” The Jerusalem Post reported.

From The Wall Street Journal, Hamas had attacked Israel with more than 500 rockets up to that point, including a barrage of 137 rockets launched in under five minutes.

The report stated, Israel said it struck back at targets including Hamas leadership, weapons manufacturing sites and tunnels used by Hamas forces to stage attacks on Israel.

Reuters reported Netanyahu said, “At the conclusion of a situational assessment, it was decided that both the strength of the attacks and the frequency of the attacks will be increased.”

Sources: Westernjournal, News.yahoo, Wsj, Jpost, Appropriations.house.gov, Foxnews

About The Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.