A man who went on a violent rampage in Sydney’s CBD after murdering a vulnerable woman in a “cruel and brutal attack” has been jailed for at least 33 years.

Mert Ney pleaded guilty to the unprovoked stabbing murder of sex worker Michaela Dunn, 24, in a Clarence Street apartment on 13 August 2019, after he booked in for an appointment.

After repeatedly stabbing her and cutting her throat, he filmed himself standing over her body at the bloodied scene and sent the video to a man on Facebook.

“I’m fucking psycho,” he wrote. “I was laughing bro. The fear.”

The 22-year-old also admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm for stabbing Lin Bo during his frightening rampage, which only came to an end after bystanders intervened, some wielding chairs and a milk crate.

In the NSW supreme court on Friday, justice Peter Johnson jailed Ney for 44 years with a non-parole period of 33 years, describing his actions as a “violent, terrifying and chaotic rampage”.

Joanne Dunn, the mother of the murder victim, bravely took the stand at Ney’s sentencing to make sure that her daughter received the justice she deserved and that her killer went away for a long time.

“I know our house was quiet, very, very quiet, no tears, no shouting, just numbness,” Dunn told the NSW Supreme Court sentence hearing for Mert Ney. “No parent should ever have to hear those words … your daughter has been murdered,’ she said, looking directly at Ney, who was sitting in the dock.”

As Ney was led away from the dock a woman in the public gallery shouted “monster”.

“The offender is a dangerous man and continues to be a dangerous man,” the judge said. But because of Ney’s mental health issues, he rejected the crown’s submission that he should be jailed for the rest of his life


Ney had a history of mental illness but was urged to plead guilty in this trial, so the victim’s family did not have to suffer any longer.

Watch the video report below:

Source: AWM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.