One of the horrible things about living in a big city like Las Vegas is that you always have the potential of there being some kind of a repeat of a horrible and senseless tragedy.
It will be a somber new years eve for the families of two security guards who were shot and killed at Arizona Charlie’s Casino on Decatur Boulevard near U.S. 95 in Las Vegas Nevada this morning.
Las Vegas police confirmed this senseless act happened in a hotel room inside the casino around 6:45 a.m. local time.
But what makes all this even more tragic is that after the shooter killed the security guards the suspect ran to a nearby residence and shot himself. So we might never know what the motive for this crime really was.
The shooter was immediately transported to University Medical Center where his condition, along with his motives, is still unknown at this time. A Las Vegas police spokesman said the identity of the deceased security guards will be released by the Clark County coroner once relatives have been notified. The hotel-casino’s main office did not return any messages seeking a comment about the shooting.
This is just the latest chapter in what seems to be an unusually high number of homicides over the last week in the Las Vegas area.
Via MSN: New Year’s Eve on Las Vegas Strip will have high security after shooting rampage
LAS VEGAS – Las Vegas officials are expecting lower-than-normal attendance at the New Year’s Eve celebration on the famed Strip, but in light of October’s mass shooting, security will be at its highest level in years.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said this week that the Homeland Security Department had raised the New Year’s Eve celebration to the highest security level under its special events protocols – SEAR level 1. In years past, it was level 3.
The change, he said, will bring snipers with spotters, extra air support, more medical equipment and personnel, and mobile command posts staffed by federal authorities. The same security classification and measures are afforded to the Super Bowl and political party conventions for presidential nominations.
Lombardo said there would be more than 1,500 local police officers deployed for a three-day window.
Clark County Commission Chairman Steve Sisolak said he understood New Year’s Eve revelers might be worried about safety after the Oct. 1 mass shooting, and he sought to assuage those concerns.
“Nobody puts on a New Year’s Eve show like Las Vegas, and never will it be as safe as it will be this year,” Sisolak said. “The safety measures in place are impressive.”
It’s been three months since 64-year-old Stephen Paddock opened fire from his 32nd floor hotel room at Mandalay Bay into a crowd of more than 20,000 people at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival on the Strip. He killed 58 people and wounded hundreds of others.
The FBI has revealed little about Paddock’s motives. Special Agent in Charge Aaron C. Rouse said in an interview with The Las Vegas Review-Journal that the FBI would be issuing a report sometime before the anniversary of the shooting.